I was in my dad's room one night and He looked at me while my mom slept comma-ish next to him. He said "If you plant a grade D24 Durian seed in a dry unfavorable area, it would taste like every other durian. If you plant it in a cold country, you would need an incubator and it is expensive. If you plant it with sufficient nutrient and care, it will grow up to be a D24 durian." He has his own methods, but he never fails to get the message across.
I was the D24 durian. The next day was my first day in another college and instead of inventing fancy ways to keep my heart from catapulting to Cheng Mai..the fact that my dad thinks i'm the best quality durian puts me at ease. I cooly settled for advice from my sister's easy-going boyfriend instead.
"Just make eye contact with people. Smile. And Say your name" Ben says matter-of-factly.
"What if..They dont want to be friends with me?"
"Then don't be friends with them" He shoot back with a smile.
Right...That makes it so much simpler O.O Before i went to bed, I had a script prepared for the next day, All the possible "comeback" lines and questions for the stranger i'm about to meet. I even warmed up my mouth muscles for the upcoming smile, Stretched my eye lids so they would open bigger for a better view of eye contact and kept a mental note that i was a good durian. =)
* * *
It has been a week of college. No doubt I miss high school and the need to not walk so many stairs. but I think if there was a time to not live in the past. It would be now.
For future predictions..
"I am a confident, extroverted, capable, optimistic leader...". Those are the words I ll be saying to myself before the interview for student council president next week. Nervous? Pffft...not one bit
i'm a good durian...i'm a good durian....i'm a good durian....
No comments:
Post a Comment